For over 40 years, Furman has been the leading manufacturer of AC power conditioners, AC voltage regulators, balanced isolation transformers, and AC distribution equipment for audio, video, and broadcast professionals.
This makes the Furman power management products perfectly suited for use in Home Cinemas.
Furman products are relied upon by respected professional musicians, renowned recording and film studios, and major touring and performance companies throughout North America and across the world. They choose Furman for the reputation for reliability and due to years of engineering expertise focusing on the specific needs of industry professionals that cannot afford equipment failure or downtime.
Introduced in 2001, Furman’s acclaimed line of consumer power management products build upon the virtually maintenance free, performance enhancing technology found in the professional line. With components that have been re-engineered from the ground up, Furman’s consumer electronics product line is designed to meet the specific challenges found in today’s home theater systems.
While we at Furman are proud of their history, they are focused on the future and are committed to stretch the bounds of technology to provide the most advanced power management solutions for any application.
The Furman power management products that we use are as follows:
- Furman IT Reference
- Furman SPR Voltage Regulator
- Furman Elite 16 Power conditioner
- Furman AC210 power surge protector
Furman IT-Reference Power Conditioner
Clean and condition your AC power while meeting the extreme AC power demands of amplifiers with Power Factor Technology.
- Symmetrical balanced power with dual screen technology cancels hum-inducing noise from audio and video
- Four discrete power banks eliminate inter-component interference
- Power Factor technology provides surplus current for power-starved amplifiers
- Linear Filtering Technology for unequaled audio / video clarity
- Virtually maintenance-free AC surge suppression
- Detachable surge suppression module for telco and cable / satellite connectors
Furman Stable Power AC Voltage Regulator
Clean and condition your AC power, protect equipment from over voltage and provide a constant, ultra-stable 230 VAC supply to voltage starved amplifiers.
- SMP provides the highest level of protection available
- LiFT significantly reduces AC line noise
- E.V.S. protects equipment from dangerous overvoltage conditions
- Provides an ultra-stable 230 VAC supply from low or high voltage sources
- Linear Filtering Technology (LiFT) for unequaled audio / video clarity
- Series Multi-Stage Protection (SMP) featuring Extreme Voltage Shutdown (EVS)
- Cool running, noise free technology allows placement in critical listening environments
- Detachable surge suppression module for telco and cable / satellite connectors
- 16 amp RMS capacity
Furman Elite 16 power conditioner
Ultra-linear AC power source.
- Power Factor Technology provides over 55 Amps peak charge surplus current for power-starved amplifiers
- Ultra-Linear Filtering Technology for stunning audio and video clarity
- Series Multi-Stage Protection provides virtually maintenance-free AC surge suppression
- Retractable LED lamps illuminate a cabinet or rack full of equipment
- Zero ground contamination circuitry protects critical digital components
- Ultrasonic bi-filtering isolates digital and video circuits from analog components
Furman AC210 power surge protector
10 Amp compact power conditioner with auto-resetting voltage protection.
The AC-210AE compact power conditioner features Furman’s revolutionary SMP technology. Furman’s Series Multi-Stage Protection (SMP) circuit features our exclusive Linear Filter Technology (LiFT) and Extreme Voltage Shutdown (EVS). Together, these technologies comprise what is, without question, the world’s most advanced and comprehensive transient voltage surge suppressor.
- Furman’s exclusive SMP Technology provides the highest level of surge & spike protection available
- LiFT offers linear AC power filtering to ensure clean power for unequaled audio & video clarity
- Auto-Reset EVS circuitry detects dangerous voltage irregularities and safely powers down itself and connected equipment in unsafe conditions
- LED indicators provide information on power quality and operational status of unit
- 10 amp rating featuring circuit breaker for added protection
- Zero ground contamination circuitry protects critical video circuits
- Compact chassis design easily attaches to any flat screen television mount or any other remote location
Furman’s approach to technologies have focused on the following key areas:
- Power Factor Technology
- Series Multi-Stage Protection
- Extreme Voltage Shutdown
- Linear Filtration Technology
- Discrete Symmetrically Balanced Power
Power Factor Technology
Furman’s Power Factor Technology was designed to help power amplifiers sound their best and reproduce audio signals accurately. While a typical 15 amp tap is enough to supply the modest RMS current draw needed by most power amplifiers, the extremes and dynamics of an audio presentation may require the power amplifier to draw in excess of 30 amps for a brief moment.
With Furman’s Power Factor Technology, power amplifiers are supplied a momentary current reservoir which lowers the AC line impedance while providing up to 80 amps of peak current from which to draw. Simply put, Power Factor Technology allows power amplifiers to get the current they need when they need it most
Series Multi-Stage Protection
Audio/video professionals can never accept down time, corrupted data, or unreliability for critical applications. That’s why the robust, professional level transient voltage surge suppression of the Furman Series Multistage Protection (SMP) circuit, is the best choice.
With SMP, there is virtually no downtime. In fact, the circuit is tested to handle multiple 6000 volt or 3000 amp pulses without sustaining any damage. This is far beyond the demands placed on typical surge suppressors. But because of the extreme conditions and critical applications faced by Furman’s clients, the SMP circuit has been designed to pass this severe test and ensure that equipment damage or maintenance is extremely unlikely.
Furman’s SMP relies on a network of components to slow down the impact of a potentially catastrophic surge by capturing it, dissipating it in the form of heat, and absorbing the remaining excess energy. When tested with multiple 6,000V/3,000A surges, the SMP circuit’s maximum let-through voltage is 188V Pk (133V RMS – only 11% higher than a nominal 120V line). Due to the circuit design, it will not degrade over time (unlike most standard surge suppressors) and will show minimal increase in line impedance (unlike many advanced surge suppressors).
Extreme Voltage Shutdown
Extreme voltage conditions (such as sustained over-voltage conditions) are some of the most threatening power problems faced by your equipment.
Transient spikes and ground contamination are not the only problems faced by today’s sensitive electronics. There are also sustained over-voltage conditions, sometimes called extreme voltages. Many surge suppression devices will not be able to protect equipment from sustained over-voltages. These conditions can occur for multiple reasons. For example, a power pole may be damaged during a storm or accident. Also, in many countries, such as USA and Canada, lost or intermittent neutral wiring of a multiple-zone system can result in a sudden connection well in excess of 208 volts AC.
Many surge suppression devices are not equipped to handle these kinds of conditions. Without proper protection, the end result is destroyed equipment, or at best, a destroyed surge suppression system.
Furman’s Extreme Voltage Shutdown (EVS) constantly monitors incoming voltage, and once any over-voltage condition over 137 volts AC is detected, a relay opens which immediately shuts down the unit and all connected equipment. An indicator light informs the user there is a problem. Once the condition has been corrected, the unit may be reset or auto-reset (depending on model) and will operate normally.
Linear Filtration Technology
While delivering power, your AC tap also delivers a significant amount of line noise. The reasons include, switching power supplies and the harmonics they backfeed into our AC power mains, the deterioration of our power grid from age and use, and the noise pollution generated from the massive amounts of electronic devices on our grid at any given time.
Furman’s Linear Filtration Technology (LiFT™) employs a finely tuned lowpass filter to reduce the differential AC noise coming through your line. What is significant about Furman’s filtering is that it reduces the AC noise in a linear fashion across a very wide bandwidth. Prior filtering schemes (such as those found in most AC conditioners) reduce noise unevenly, creating a noise attenuation curve that resembles a roller coaster. This is akin to a poor job of equalizing a recording.
With Furman’s LiFT, differential AC noise is reduced linearly, across a very wide bandwidth extending into the video frequencies. This results in a lower noise floor for your audio system, improved picture on your video display, and protection from possible data corruption and losses caused by low-level differential AC noise fed into digital systems.
Discrete Symmetrically Balanced Power
While differential AC noise such as electromagnetic and radio frequency interference can be effectively reduced with a low-pass filter such as Furman’s LiFT, the common mode AC noise, (which is the cause of ground loops and video hum bars) requires more advanced solutions. Effective reduction of common mode noise without rewiring the electrical service, requires the use of an isolation transformer. The most effective of these are true symmetrically balanced isolation transformers.
Furman’s Discrete Symmetrically Balanced Power is achieved by running the incoming AC into a 1:1 isolation transformer with a precisely placed center tap on the transformer’s secondary.
The incoming voltage (120V on the line terminal and 0V on the neutral and ground) is split into perfect halves on the transformer’s output. The AC line now has 60V on the line and 60V on the neutral when referenced to the new center-tapped ground, which remains at 0V AC.
Furman’s isolation transformers utilize Dual Screen Technology, which yields the widest bandwidth of noise reduction available. This allows Furman’s Discrete Symmetrically Balanced Power units to uncover unprecedented levels of video and audio detail while ensuring that flat panel displays or video projectors are free of AC ground contamination from an audio processor or power amplifier.
What is significant about this is that the two 60V AC terminals are now in opposite polarity. This completely cancels all common mode noise from the incoming AC line. This noise reduction is extraordinarily efficient and linear across a huge frequency range, and the result is perfectly clean power devoid of ground loops and AC hum noise.